Sunday 1 April 2012

Double Trouble #6: Heyawake (wacky) and Regional Yajilin

It's been a while since I have done one of these. I had been trying to play around with Ripple Effect/Heyawake and Ripple Effect/Regional Yajilin, except those never came off the ground much. It didn't feel that nice as I had to overload the Ripple Effect puzzles with uneccesary clues to get the other puzzles unique. So I thought that maybe Heyawake and Regional Yajilin might work as they can have a comparable amount of necessary clues. I found it a bit hard to make it work with rectangular regions, so I gave irregular reginos a try and that turned out a lot better. They're both not the hardest puzzles, but I like how they turned out.

Rules for Heyawake

Rules for Regional Yajilin

So firstly this puzzle have be solved as a Heyawake (wacky) puzzle. Opposed to normal Heyawake the puzzle has irregular rooms. The white area still can't span over two or more boundaries, even if they belong to the same room. This one is probably the easiest Heyawake on my blog.
Secondly it can be solved as a Regional Yajilin puzzle. It's not too hard, but it has some trickier steps than the Heyawake, but these are more because of the genre type.


6 comments:

  1. Good old times :)
    Frankly, I found the heyawake puzzle harder, but maybe that's just me. I also found it very enjoyable. The other one was nice too, but the heyawake had a really nice flow to it...
    Marcin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, two of my favorites together. That was fun(and heartening to remember I can race through other puzzle types too now that the Tapa season's over :P )

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a moment I thought we are supposed to solve it as a single puzzle combining the rules of Heyawake & Regional Yajirin. Then I realised the 2(3) cage must have black cells on both ends and then the Heyawake rule would force a "dead-end" for the Yajirin loop.

    Is it possible to create a single puzzle combining both genres?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Double Trouble puzzles are all puzzles that can be solved under different rules.

      That's definitely possible, but I think it might be very constricting. Yajilin puzzles generally have a lot more white space than a Heyawake puzzle, which makes it harder to avoid the white space can't span more than 2 rooms rule. Maybe you'd have to change the rule to, the loop can't run over more than 2 boundaries consecutively in any row or column.

      Delete
  4. Considering that the "yaji" in "Yajilin" means "arrow", "Heyalin" would be a more apt title than "Regional Yajilin", would it not? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would probably be better. I just borrowed the name from prassana's blog. I don't exactly know what the yajilin and heyawake names actually mean.

      Delete